The iOS 15.6 and iPadOS 15.6 has finally been released for download, The updates will install automatically for most users, but anyone who wants to push the update right away can do so from the Settings app.
To access the new software, go to Settings > General > Software Update. Both softwares are available on all entitled devices all over the air in the settings app, and this updates can be downloaded for free.
As Apple is wrapping up development on the iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 operating systems, iOS 15.6 is minor in scale and introduces a handful of new features and bug fixes.
The update includes an option to restart, pause, rewind, and fast-forward a live sports game that’s in progress, plus it addresses an issue that could cause the Settings app to continue to display that device storage is full even when it’s not.
Below are the Apple’s full release notes for the update.
iOS 15.6 Features
Apple’s features always come with enhancements, security patches, and bug fixes to iPhone users and that’s what you’ll get from iOS 15.6. Below are the official iOS 15.6 change log:
- TV app adds the option to restart a live sports game already in-progress and pause, rewind, or fast-forward
- Fixes an issue where Settings may continue to display that device storage is full even if it is available
- Fixes an issue that may cause braille devices to slow down or stop responding when navigating text in Mail
- Fixes an issue in Safari where a tab may revert back to a previous page
It is possible that iOS 15.6 also brings 30+ new security enhancements to the iPhone and you can learn more about those over on Apple’s security site.
iOS 15.6 Review
You will see the smallest download size if your iPhone is currently running iOS 15.5.
For those who are still using iOS 15.5, to download the iOS 15.6 you will be using like 520MB. You can expect a similar size for other iPhone models running the previous version of iOS 15.
Recall that the same size of the iOS 15.6 download depends on your iPhone model and the version of iOS it’s currently running. If your iPhone is still using an older version of iOS, you may see a bigger download because your update includes the changes from any iOS updates you skipped.
To upgrade from iOS 15.5, it takes 10 minutes or less to complete the installation .It took about seven minutes to install on an iPhone 12 Pro.
We’ve been using iOS 15.6 on an iPhone 12 Pro for a very short time and here’s what we’ve learned about the software’s performance thus far:
- Battery life is stable.
- Wi-Fi connectivity is fast and reliable.
- Bluetooth is working normally.
- GPS and cellular data are both stable.
- Third-party apps including Netflix, Dark Sky, Twitter, Slack, Asana, Gmail, Chrome, and Spotify are working fine at the moment.
- First party apps like Safari and Podcasts are also stable.
- iOS 15.6 currently feels as fast as iOS 15.5
If you’ve been dealing with bugs or performance issues on iOS 15.5 or an older version of iOS 15, you might want to install the iOS 15.6 update on your iPhone today.
iOS 15.6 Problems
For some iPhone users, The iOS 15.6 update is already causing problem and some of these problems are brand new, others have carried over from iOS 15.5 and older versions of iOS 15.
Below are the current list of problem;
- It includes installation issues
- UI lag issues with Touch ID and Face ID
- Issues with first and third-party apps,
- Abnormal battery drain.
Apple is currently signing on iOS 15.5 which means you can move your iPhone’s software back to the previous version of iOS 15 if iOS 15.6 starts causing problems. You can’t downgrade to anything older than iOS 15.5.
Have this in mind if you’re having a good experience on iOS 15.4.1 or older. Once you upgrade to iOS 15.6, you won’t be able to get back.