If you use internet regularly in your home, you must have a cable modem (the box that turns the cable coming into your house into an internet signal) and Wi-Fi router (the box that takes this connection and turns it into Wi-Fi), which is a reliable way to make your internet experience better and cheaper, as most cable companies charge a monthly fee to rent them. The best cable modem/router combos will do the same job at a fraction of the cost of two devices, and in a far simpler way, with fewer cables and power plugs.
However, it is not quite that easy. Not all modems work with all providers, and you’ll need to make sure the unit you purchase works together with your cable company (such as Spectrum, Cox, or AT&T). Information about compatibility can usually be found on your cable provider’s website. If not, it’s best to call and check before you buy.
Below are 3 of the best cable/router combos to help you make the best choice possible.
1. Best Overall: Motorola MG7700 Cable Modem and Router
We have the Motorola MG7700 in the 2nd position, which is also a great modem WiFi combo in the mid-range series of options. This is also a basic option that gives up to 1 Gbps connection speed which is still doable for regular home connections. However, the device triumphs when it comes to WiFi performance thanks to the Power Boost feature which is only available on Motorola routers.
- It features both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network bands
- It assist up to 1000 Mbps network speed
- It comes with 4 gigabit LAN ports
- Comparatively compact option
- Compatible with majority of popular ISP options
- The unit gives 4 gigabit LAN ports
- Special features available such Power Boost and WiFi Amplifier
- Cheaper option compared to other picks
- Speed limit is lesser than other options
2. NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000
Best for: Gaming and streaming households where performance is most important
NETGEAR has skills with the NETGEAR Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.0 1.9Gbps Two-in-One Cable Modem and Wi-Fi Router. It floors with download speeds that max out at 1.9Gbps combined speed, it must be available in a house who game and stream in HD or 4K quality. Features of the C7000 include:
- Xfinity internet certified for speeds up to 800Mbps
- Spectrum internet certified for speeds up to 400Mbps
- Cox internet certified for speeds up to 500Mbps
- A 1.6GHz processor to handle high-speed LAN-to-WAN, wired, and wireless connections
- Up to 24 times faster cable internet speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Access to the Nighthawk app, which provides mobile access to your network and a host of other goodies, such as network security
- Average price around $175
This modem router combo works for homes where gaming and streaming rule, and lag is not an option. While a bit pricier than the NETGEAR C6250, it’s worth it for the extra peace of mind knowing that buffering won’t be an issue with this device.
- It works with all major U.S. providers
- It has 2 Gigabyte wired connections
- DoS protection and WPS
- Great value
- Not the quickest
- Better options for larger homes
Netgear is a well known brand with a many deserved recognition for its high-quality products. Netgear option could be a Fantastic pickup in terms of value and performance. The C6250-1AZNAS is no exception and boasts excellent performance along with great configurability.
This modem/router combo brings a respectable top speed of 680Mbps, which should leave plenty of room for most people to upgrade their internet in the future. With a 16×4 channel configuration, this modem/router can provide a decent amount of bandwidth for periods of heavy internet use.
Additionally, this router is a dual-band box, depending on your usage, you can switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 5 GHz wi-fi is better for purposes that require fast internet, like online gaming, while 2.4 GHz is slower but has a longer signal range.
3. Best Value: Arris Surfboard SBG7600AC2 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem & Wi-Fi Router
- It has a Good Wi-Fi coverage
- It is Simple to set up
- It has a great app support
- Limited advanced features
- Only approved for Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum, and Cox
The SBG7600AC2 is of high quality modem/router with a awful name. The SBG7600AC2 will handle a really fast connection (1.4 gigabit, which is almost certainly faster than you have), it has four fast Ethernet ports for plugging in TVs and games consoles through a cable, and it’s a bit nerdy looking.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A MODEM-ROUTER COMBO?
Modem-router combos are designed to be user-friendly, simplifying your connection to the internet into one compact box. Purchasing a modem-router combo is usually cheaper overall than purchasing a separate modem and router. Since it’s one device, it’s generally easier to set up and manage, not to mention it takes up less desk space and can reduce wire clutter.
In Conclusion, There are a many brands present in the market that exactly deal with network related devices such as modems, routers, NAS, and other similar options. Most users do not consider buying a separate modem since the ISP usually offers a compatible modem at a premium rental charge.