A WebP file reduces the size of image files while retaining quality, it is a Google-developed file format for images. WebP files make websites load faster since larger image files slow down the loading of a web page. The format also saves battery life on mobile phones. Google says WebP images are about 30 percent smaller than PNG and JPG images at the same quality.
This format was released by the company in 2010 and has a page dedicated to the compression techniques that WebP uses.
The following browsers and operating systems support WebP:
- Microsoft Edge
- Android’s built-in browser
- Safari 14 and up
How Do I Open One?
Because WebP is brought up by Google and royalty-free, it has already been integrated into many applications and software you might already have on your computer. Most web browsers already have the needed plugin to handle the format.
WebP images are fashioned for the web and are almost indistinguishable from JPEG and PNG, so you may not have even noticed that is what you were looking at. You can save a WebP image to your computer the same way you would any other image on the internet; right-click the image and click “Save Image As.”
1. Select a destination on your computer where you want to save the image, then click “Save.”
2. If you have Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Opera, all you have to do is double-click the image, and it opens in your default browser for you to view.
3. You can make use of graphics software, like GIMP, ImageMagick, or Microsoft Paint to edit Webpage which natively open WebP files by default. On Windows, right-click the image, point to “Open With,” then choose the program you want to edit with.
You can always swap the default application for a file type you want to open the file with a different program altogether on Mac and Windows. Or, just use Google Chrome to download WebP images as JPEG or PNG in the first place.
How to convert WEBP to JPG on Windows
If you download an image from the web and the only choice m that your browser present to you is WEBP, or if you inherit a WEBP file from somewhere else, you do not compulsorily needs to change it to another format if the program you are using can open the WEBP file. But you can convert the file using the built-in Paint program if necessary.
1. Begin Paint. If you need to, look for “paint” in the Start search box and tap Paint when you see it in the search results.
2. Open the WEBP file you want to convert. You can drag the file into the open Paint window or browse by clicking File, then Open.
3. Select File, then Save As. Choose JPEG picture and specify where you want to save the new, converted file.
How Do I Stop Chrome From Saving Images in WebP?
You can right click an image you see online if you want to save it and select Save image as. In some cases, it will default to the .webp format. You can’t stop Chrome from saving images in this format, but you can use a browser that does not support it, like Internet Explorer. In this browser, when you save an image, it saves to JPG or PNG.
How to convert WEBP to JPG on Mac
On a Mac computer, Using the built-in Preview app, you can convert any WEBP file to JPG.
1. Start Finder and then discover the WEBP file.
2. Double-click the file to make it open in the Preview app.
3. Select File and then Export in the menu bar.
4. Make sure the drop-down menu is set to JPEG in the Format section of the Exportdialog box.
5. Adjust the file name and destination as needed then click Save.
In Conclusion, WebP is a next-generation image format that makes better upon its predecessors, such as JPEG and PNG. It offers advanced compression technologies that can retain image quality while having smaller file sizes.