The Action Button is probably one of the best features of Apple Watch Ultra, the much needed third control button that has been missing from the best Apple watches for years. It helps make the big, rugged, Apple Watch Ultra a better training tool for runners, riders and divers.
The Action Button is easier to press with sweaty fingers (or when wearing gloves) and it’s customizable.
Learn how to customize and use the Action button, which gives you quick access to some of your favorite Apple Watch Ultra features.
How to set up the Action button on your Apple Watch Ultra
1. Launch the Settings app on your Apple Watch. You can also do this in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Swipe down to the Action Button menu and click on Action Button.
3. Click the menu under Action, then choose what you want the button to launch.
4. Click the arrow in the top-left corner to go back to Action Button settings.
5. Click the menu under App if it appears, then choose an app to perform the action. Some actions, such as Flashlight, don’t show the App option.
6. Tap the arrow to go back.
7. Tap the menu under First Press if it appears, then choose an action. Some features allow different actions to happen on the first and second press of the button.
What can the Action button do?
You can configure actions related to these apps and features:
How to use the Action Button to pause a workout
Another feature that makes the Action Button a little bit more useful during a workout is the option to use it to pause an activity. To do this, simply press the Action Button and either the digital crown or the side button. During testing, we’ve found this super easy to do while moving, and while wearing gloves.