Facebook Messenger is no longer just a way for you to share a few jokes with your friends. Depending on the platform you’re using, it can read your SMS messages, make voice calls, and even make video calls.
If it’s all become too much and you’re fed up with being pestered every day, you might want to take a temporary break from Facebook. In other words, it’s time to go invisible and appear offline on the platform.
In this article, we’re going to show you how to appear offline on Facebook Messenger on some of the most popular operating systems, instructions cover Facebook on the desktop as well as the Facebook and Messenger iOS and Android apps.
How to Appear Offline on Facebook Using a PC or Mac
When you’re on Facebook or Facebook Messenger, friends may notice that you’re online and think it’s a great time to send you messages. Here’s what to do if you prefer more privacy.
1. Navigate to Facebook.com and click on the Messenger icon.
2. Click Options (three dots).
3. Click Turn Off Active Status.
4. Select Turn off active status for all contacts if you don’t want to be disturbed by anyone.
5. Click Turn off active status for all contacts except if you don’t want to be disturbed by most people, but want to be available to a select few. You can designate friends who can see your online status.
6. Select Turn off active status for only some contacts if there are only a few people to whom you prefer to remain incognito.
7. Choose Okay when you’ve made your selection. Your active status remains off until you turn it back on.
How to Appear Offline on Facebook Using an iOS or Android Device
You can manage whether you show as online or offline using the Facebook apps for iOS and Android.
1. Click Menu (three lines) in the lower-right corner (iOS) or upper-right corner (Android).
2. Swipe down and click Settings & Privacy.
3. Click Settings.
4. Swipe down to the Privacy section and click Active Status.
5. Click on the switch next to Show when you’re active to switch it off.
6. Click Turn Off to confirm.
How to Go Offline on the Facebook Messenger App
1. Switch off Active Status directly from the Messenger app for iOS or Android, as well.
2. From the Chats tab, Click your profile picture.
3. Click Active Status.
4. Switch off Active Status, then click Turn Off to confirm.
Note: After you turn off Active Status, you can still send messages and participate in conversations you already had going.