This article explains how to restore your iPhone from a backup using either iCloud or iTunes. Information applies to iPhones running iOS 11 and higher
How to Restore iPhone Using an iCloud Backup
If your iPhone automatically backs up to iCloud when the iPhone is connected to power and Wi-Fi, restoring it is easy and wireless:
Check for an iCloud Backup
To make sure you have a recent backup:
1. Select Settings and tap your name.
2. Click on iCloud.
3. Select Manage Storage.
4. Select Backups.
5. In the Backups section, tap the iPhone entry to display the date and size of the backup.
Don’t See Your Backup?
If there is no entry or it is an old backup, you may have backed up the iPhone to iTunes on a computer at some point (more on that later in this article). You want to use the most recent backup you can find.
How to restore an iPhone from iCloud
If your iPhone is running slow, or you’re having a lot of issues when you do anything on your iPhone, a good troubleshooting tip is to erase it and reinstall the iOS. Before you reset your iPhone, make sure you check when your last iCloud backup occurred by going to Settings > (your name) > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
After you’ve made sure you have a recent backup, here’s how to reset your iPhone and restore it from an iCloud backup:
1. Head to Settings > General > Reset.
2. Select Erase All Content and Settings.
3. Go through the setup pages until you get to the Apps & Data screen.
4. Tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
5. Sign in to your iCloud account.
6. Proceed to Choose backup and then select the one you need from the list.
Once you select the backup, you’ll see a progress bar on your screen. The time it takes to your restore your data depends on how large your iCloud backup is and how fast your internet is. You’ll want to make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi connection to restore quickly.
How to Restore an iPhone Backup From iTunes on a Computer
When you sync your iPhone with iTunes on a computer, the data, settings, and other information on the phone are backed up. To restore a backup for your iPhone:
1. Launch iTunes on the computer that you use to back up the iPhone.
2. Connect the iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
3. Click the iPhone icon to open the iPhone Summary screen.
4. Select Restore Backup in the Backups section.
5. Select the backup you want to use from the list iTunes presents there may only be one option and click Restore.
6. Input your Apple ID information to start the backup restoration. This is the same account that you set up when you activated your iPhone initially.