When you get a new phone, you’ll want to start using it with all of your devices. But if you have a Samsung Galaxy Watch, pairing it with your new iPhone can be tricky.
This article explains how to connect a Galaxy Watch to an iPhone. The instructions apply broadly to all Samsung smart watches.
How to connect your Samsung Galaxy Watch to an iPhone
While Samsung Galaxy Watches work best with Samsung phones, you can connect your watch to an iPhone but it’s not a perfect system. You won’t be able to use all of the watch’s features, and the Galaxy Watch 4, for example, won’t connect to the Galaxy Watch iPhone app.
Here’s how to connect your watch to an iPhone:
1. Head to the App Store, and download Samsung Galaxy Watch (Gear S).
2. Open the Samsung Galaxy Watch (Gear S) app on your iPhone, then tap OK when asked to allow Bluetooth.
3. Tap Start The Journey.
4. Tap the Galaxy Watch that matches your device.
Hold on for the watch to pair. Your watch is now ready to use with your iPhone.
Why Won’t My Galaxy Watch Connect to My iPhone?
The iOS Galaxy Wearables app doesn’t support some Galaxy Watches, so you can’t connect them to your iPhone. The app will recognize your watch and attempt to connect, but it will fail, and you will see an error message.
If you’re having trouble connecting any other Galaxy Watch to your iPhone, ensure you’ve turned on Bluetooth on the iPhone. If it is, then try restarting both the phone and your watch. If you have a lot of other Bluetooth devices nearby, try switching those devices off or moving them away to reduce the likelihood of connectivity problems.
What Can You Do With a Galaxy Watch on an iPhone?
While you can use your Samsung watch with an iPhone, some features aren’t available. If your watch has a built-in camera, you won’t be able to take advantage of it through the iPhone. You also can’t send text messages through your iPhone using a Samsung watch, although you can receive text message notifications on the watch. Email notifications are also available, but you can’t send new emails or reply to emails through the watch.
Some of the Samsung Watch features that do work as expected when used with an iPhone include:
- Phone calls: You can receive and place calls using the watch.
- Notifications: You’ll receive alerts from iPhone apps and third-party apps.
- Heart rate monitor: If your watch has a heart rate monitor, it will work with your iPhone as it works on Samsung and other Android phones. The stress calculator, based on the heart rate monitor, also functions.
- Fitness and sleep tracking: Using the Samsung Health app on your iPhone, you can track fitness and sleep data from your watch. You can also track workouts using several presets.
- Music and media playback: The music manager on your watch allows you to control music and other media playback on your iPhone.