This article explains how to leave or mute group texts in Android and iOS. Instructions apply to standard iOS 12/Android 8 and above unless otherwise noted.
How to Escape a Group Text on Android
On an Android device, you can’t leave a group text without asking to be removed, but you can choose to mute notifications.
The following steps apply to the stock messages app on Android. If your Android phone uses a different texting app, for example, Messages on the Samsung phone or Google Messages, the process for leaving a group text may be different.
1. Switch to the group text.
2. Click on the three vertical dots.
3. Select the bell to mute the conversation.
4. You will not see any more messages in the group text unless you go back and tap the bell again to accept them. At that point, the messages you missed will populate the conversation.
Leave a Group Text on an iPhone
If you have an iPhone, you have a few options for muting unwanted group texts.
Option 1: Mute Notifications
The first option on iOS is to mute group text notifications:
1. Launch the group text you want to mute.
2. Head to the top of the screen and click on the group of contacts.
3. Tap the Information button (it’s located under the group).
4. Swipe to the bottom and tap the Hide Alerts toggle to turn it On.
5. When you select Hide Alerts (or Do Not Disturb in iOS 11 or earlier), you won’t get a notification (and the accompanying text sound) each time someone in the group text sends a new message. To view all new messages in the thread, open the group text. This method cuts down on distractions.
Option 2: Leave a Group Text on iOS
The way to really leave the conversation is easy but this isn’t always an option even if you’re using the Messages app on your iPhone.
To leave a group text on iOS, you’ll need the following circumstances:
- You must be in an iMessage conversation rather than a standard group text message. If some of the people in the group chat use Android phones or other apps rather than Messages on iOS, you’ll be in a standard group message and the option to leave a group text through Messages isn’t available.
- There must be at least four people in a group text. The logic being that if you were to leave a three-person conversation, it would no longer be a group text but rather a simple text between two people. In any case, if you’re in a three-person iMessage chat, the Leave this Conversation option is grayed out.
If you are able to leave a group text on iOS, follow these instructions:
1. Launch the group iMessage you want to leave.
2. Tap the group at the top, then the Information button.
3. Swipe down and tap Leave this Conversation.
4. Tap Leave this Conversation to confirm you choice.