In this article, we will explain how WhatsApp message editing works on iOS and Android.
How to Edit WhatsApp Messages
Editing a message works nearly the same on iOS and Android:
1. Long-press the message you want to edit.
2. In iOS, select Edit. In Android, select the three-dot menu at the top right (this might be a pencil icon on some devices), and select Edit. The word Edited will display next to edited texts. However, edit history isn’t provided; neither you nor the recipient will see how many times the message was changed.
3. Change the message, and then click on the checkmark to save it.
WhatsApp Message Editing Not Working?
There are several potential reasons for this:
- You waited longer than 15 minutes to edit the message.
- WhatsApp is outdated. Install the latest WhatsApp version if you don’t see the edit button or if the recipient’s edited texts don’t reflect on your phone. The text editing feature came out in May 2023.
- You selected multiple messages. You can’t bulk edit several texts at once; tap and hold a single message to change it.
- All the text was removed. If you try to erase everything during an edit, nothing will happen when you save it. Make sure at least one character remains.