Why Windows Defender Won’t Open in Windows 11
Below are some examples of situations where Microsoft’s anti-malware app won’t open or work perfectly:
- There is a non-permanent memory-related issue where the app won’t scan for malware.
- Windows Security opens normally, but then promptly closes a few seconds later.
- Another software program is “fighting” with Windows Defender, and it’s throwing error messages.
- You notice an error that says, “You will need a new app to open this windows defender link.”
- You recently installed or uninstalled another virus protection program, and now Windows Defender won’t open.
In Windows 11, Windows Defender is called Microsoft Defender, and it is managed through Windows Security. These names are used interchangeably in this article, but we are referring to the same tool.
Methods on how to Fix Windows Security Not Working in Windows 11
You need to find and fix problems immediately if you are using Windows 11 and the Windows Defender program is not working. l.e. Below are few best ways to fix Windows Security or Microsoft Defender app not working issue on Windows 11.
1. Restart your Windows 11
Firstly, You need to restart your computer if you are experiencing problems like Windows Defender not opening or being unable to run a scan. This is a very common first step when troubleshooting anything Windows. A system restart is often overlooked, but it can fix most problems.
Hence, if you face problems while using Windows Security on your Windows 11, you first need to restart your PC. If the problem continues even after restart, then follow the next methods.
2. Close or Force Stop other Security Applications
Windows 11 disables the Windows Security application once it discover a third-party security tool. Thus, if you have just installed a new security suite on your Windows 11, you can’t enable the security protection offered by Windows Security or Microsoft Defender.
Hence, You need to disable your third party security software if you want to run a full scan or activate the real-time protection of Windows Security.
3. Restart the Security Center Service
Security Center service is in charge of the real-time protection provided by the Windows Security app. The Windows security won’t work if this service is disabled or stopped. Thus, you will be required to restart the Security Center service to fix Windows Defender not working on Windows 11.
1. Firstly, press the Windows Key + R button on your Keyboard. This will open the RUN dialog box.
2. Type in services.msc and hit the Entet button on the RUN dialog box.
3. Look for Security Center on Windows Services.
4. Right-click on the Security Center and Click Restart.
This is how you can fix Windows Defender not working on your Windows 11 computer.
4. Run the SFC and DISM Scan
Run the SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Service and Management) command-line tools to find and repair corrupted system files. This will invoke the system file checker if your Windows Security app isn’t working due to system file corruption. Here’s how to run both commands in Windows 11.
1. First, click on the Windows 11 search and type in Command Prompt. Right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
2. On the Command Prompt, enter sfc/ scannow and hit the Enter button.
3. Now, the System file checker utility will run and attempt to replace the corrupted system files. If it returns with an error, you need to execute another command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
These two commands will most probably repair the Windows Security app not working problem on your Windows 11 PC.
5. Reset Your Windows 11 PC
Use reset this PC to re-install Windows 11, If all of the methods fail to work out for you. Although, Resetting Windows 11 will take your PC back to its factory default state. However, doing so will also remove all apps installed on your device.
Thus, it is always best to back your important apps and files before resetting Windows 11. In this way, you won’t face any data loss.
1. Firstly, click on the Windows 11 Start menu and select Settings.
2. On the Settings app, navigate to the System > Recovery.
3. Click on the Reset PC option on the Recovery screen.
4. Select whether you want to keep your files or remove everything on the next prompt. It’s recommended to pick the Keep my files option.
Tru to run the Windows Security app after the reset. This time the app will run fine. Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process.
In conclusion, You can follow the guidelines listed above if the Windows Defender is not working in Windows 11. With Windows Defender, you should also prefer installing any third-party antivirus or anti-malware program on your PC for added security.