There are all sorts of reasons why you’d want to hide photos on your iPhone. Maybe you took an embarrassing photo of your sibling and need to keep it safe while having it at the ready to tease them about. Or, maybe you’re planning a gift for your significant other and don’t want them to find the evidence before they receive it. Whatever your reason, here’s how to hide photos in iOS 16.
How to hide photos on your iPhone
1. Open the Photos app and choose the photo you want to hide.
2. Click on the circle with three dots in the upper right corner of the screen. When the drop-down menu appears, select Hide.
3. You’ll have the chance to confirm that you want to hide this photo. Once you tap Hide Photo, the image will be stored in the Hidden album; it will no longer appear in the main camera roll.
How to access your Hidden photos
As noted above, once you’ve hidden a photo, it’s removed from the main camera roll and deposited in a Hidden photos album for safe-keeping. Here’s where to find your Hidden album.
1. If you’re still in the Photos app, select Albums from the menu on the bottom of the screen.
2. On the Albums screen, swipe down to the Utilities section. You’ll see a Hidden folder there containing your hidden photos.
How to protect your hidden photos with Face ID
You may have noticed the lock icon that show next to the Hidden album. That’s because iOS 16 adds the ability to require Face ID verification before you can access the Hidden album. Here’s how to set that up.
1. Head to Settings and click the Photos app.
2. On the ensuing screen, ensure the slider next to Use Face ID is toggled on.
You’ve now added an extra level of protection to your Hidden album, as no one will be able to enter the album without using the Face ID unlock feature. Note that this toggle also secures the Recently Deleted photos album.
How to hide your Hidden album
Looking for even more security through obscurity? There’s a setting that allows you to even keep the Hidden album from view.
1. Head to Settings and select the Photos App.
2. Look for the Show Hidden Album setting and move the slider left. That will remove the Hidden album from the Albums tab in the Photos app.