Google Voice is the best way to make free internet phone calls. Being more of a “phone number management” service than a typical internet phone service, Google Voice does a lot more than let you make free phone calls.
To use Google Voice to make free calls, follow these steps:
1. Sign up for Google Voice: If you don’t already have a Google Voice account, visit the Google Voice website and sign up for a new account. You will need a Google account to proceed.
2. Choose a Phone Number: During the sign-up process, you will have the option to choose a phone number to associate with your Google Voice account. Select an available number from the options provided.
3. Set Up Call Settings: Once you have your Google Voice account set up, access the settings to configure your call settings. You can choose to receive calls on your Google Voice number, forward calls to other numbers, and set up voicemail.
4. Download the Google Voice App (Optional): If you prefer to use Google Voice on a mobile device, you can download the Google Voice app from the Google Play Store (for Android) or the App Store (for iOS). This will provide you with an interface specifically designed for mobile use.
5. Make Calls: To make free calls using Google Voice, you have a few options:
- Using the Google Voice Website: From the Google Voice website, you can place calls by entering the desired phone number in the search field and clicking on the phone icon to initiate the call. You can make calls to both domestic and international numbers.
- Using the Google Voice App: If you’re using the Google Voice app on a mobile device, open the app and tap on the “Calls” tab. From there, tap on the “+” icon to enter the phone number you want to call. Then, tap the green phone icon to initiate the call.
- Using Voice Commands (on Android): On Android devices, you can also use voice commands to initiate Google Voice calls. Use the Google Assistant by saying “Hey Google” or pressing the Assistant button and say something like “Call [contact name or phone number] using Google Voice.”
Remember that while calls made within the United States and Canada are generally free, international calls may incur charges. Make sure to review the Google Voice calling rates for international destinations if you plan to make international calls.
I hope this helps you use Google Voice to make free calls.